Friday, December 6, 2013

The Movies I Paid to See In 1977


In 1977,  I was 18 years old. I finished up high school mid-year and was still a few years away from what became my primary vocation. I was living at home and working with my Dad as a janitor at the office building next door. So I was making money and had few expenses. And yet my total number of paid movies wasn't even half of what it had been a couple years before. It would go back up, though,before trailing off. Guess 1977--in spite of some BIG releases-- just wasn't that good a year for movies. For me anyway.

1-THE CASSANDRA CROSSING **
2-WIZARDS ***
3-AIRPORT '77 *
4-NEVER A DULL MOMENT **
5-SILVER STREAK *****

6-THE CHEERLEADERS **
7-REVENGE OF THE CHEERLEADERS ***
8-THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION ***
9-ANNIE HALL ****
10-STAR WARS (8 times in a 14 month period) *****
11-EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC **
12-RACE FOR YOUR LIFE, CHARLIE BROWN ***
13-THE HAPPY HOOKER GOES TO WASHINGTON **


14-SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER **
15-THE DEEP **
16-THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU *

17-VIVA KNIEVEL *
18-THE SPY WHO LOVED ME **

19-JABBERWOCKY **
20-FUN WITH DICK AND JANE ****
21-MACARTHUR **
22-NEW YORK, NEW YORK **
23-BILLY JACK GOES TO WASHINGTON **
24-KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE ****
25-OH, GOD *****
26-SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT *****
27-FIRST LOVE *
28-HEROES **
29-CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND *****
30-THE GAUNTLET **
31-SEMI-TOUGH **





2 comments:

  1. That was the year Billy Jack went to Washington?? What was that Billy Jack thinking that he could have people focus on something other than Star Wars that year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. I never realized just how much 1977 sucked. I've always assumed it was a great year, for the films, but, obviously, I'm just thinking of Star Wars, although Jabberwocky was good. & I beat you on Star Wars, Steve. 13 times in 2 weeks. & I only paid twice.

    ReplyDelete