Friday, November 8, 2013

My First "Adult" Film--Bambole


I would have been probably 11 years old, maybe 12. I had heard jokes all my life about--nudge, nudge. Wink, wink--"foreign" films. I had heard whispers of naked ladies in Italian and French pictures! Of course, in conservative Cincinnati they never played THOSE kinds of pictures.


But one Saturday night, after I'd forced myself to stay awake for the ending of a monster movie, this is what came on next.


There was a host for the film, although I forget who it was. He kept announcing that this picture was pretty racy in case we wanted to turn our sensitive eyes...or was he enticing us to look closer? Hmmm...


He also explained that the title stood for "The Dolls" if translated into English. 


BAMBOLE is actually a fairly dull Italian sex comedy anthology, a type of film that they made scores of over there in the sixties and seventies for some reason.


There are no sex scenes (naturally) and no actual nudity but lots of teasing and sexy outfits on really attractive women.  


I knew Elke Sommer from her years of American movie and TV work. I had heard Gina Lollobrigida's name as a LAUGH-IN punchline but had never seen her except in a brief bit in a late Bob Hope picture. The gorgeous Virna Lisi and Monica Vitti were new to me completely but made a more lasting impression than the film itself, setting up my enjoyment of Euro-actresses ever after.



No comments:

Post a Comment